February 15, 2016

Week 10: Zaculeu Ruins

Hi! This week's emails were awesome...please keep them up. I love hearing that I'm still a topic of conversation around home. Haha!

I've decided that I want to keep a running list of all the foods I want to have at my homecoming (see sidebar). I want to make a bunch of authentic Guatemalan food that I eat here. It really is awesome.

Today is 4 out of 12 weeks of training down. I only feel like I've been in the field for a couple of days. This training change will end on April 19. I'm almost halfway there, and at that point there will only be another month until Mother's Day when we get to talk again. You guys need to figure out how to use Skype by then, haha! Also...at that point I will already have 6 months!!! <-- Look, I'm starting to apply Spanish grammar to my English now. -_- ...

I had my first division this week. I went with Elder Diaz to his area for two days. He has only been on his mission as long as I have, but he's Latino. I was worried about the language barrier, but everything went really well. I was able to communicate pretty much everything I need to. My Spanish is a lot better than I thought it was. Nobody in Elder Diaz's area would believe that I was new, and Elder Diaz said he would think I was fluent, which gave me a lot of confidence.

Every 6 months the whole mission goes through the temple, which was last week. The Quetzaltenango temple is very beautiful! I had a good time, but it was pretty much just a normal temple session. My companion and I had to ride chicken buses all day to get there and back though, which was kind of a pain...haha!

This week my goal is to speak only Spanish, no English at all, and it's going very well. I'm two days in and haven't run into anything that I couldn't say or had any problems yet, and it's actually really hard for me to write in English right now. I'm forgetting so many words and how to spell so much stuff.

Today we had a Zone activity and we went to the Zaculeu Ruins. They were really cool, but the best part was that afterward we went to McDonald's (never thought I would look forward to that!...) and to a store called Pies, which is like a WalMart with lots of American stuff. And I found protein powder!!

To finish up...I don't know which I hate more, sunblock or sunburns... I think I'll play if safe from now on and avoid the skin cancer down the road haha.

Elder Lee at the Quezaltenango Temple
e
Elder Lee and Elder Van Katwyk at the Quetzaltenango Temple 
Elder Lee and Elder Van Katwyk
Hillside Road in Chiantla outside of Huehuetenango
City view Chiantla/Huehuetenango
Elder Lee making dobladas.
Elder Lee, Zaculeu Ruins
Zaculeu Ruins
Elder Lee and Zone, Zaculeu Ruins
Elder Lee, Zaculeu Ruins

Elder Lee, Zaculeu Ruins

Elder Lee, Zaculeu Ruins

Elder Lee and Zone, Zaculeu Ruins
Artifacts, Zaculeu Ruins
Artifacts, Zaculeu Ruins

Artifacts, Zaculeu Ruins

Artifacts, Zaculeu Ruins

Artifacts, Zaculeu Ruins

Illustration, Zaculeu Ruins

Artifacts, Zaculeu Ruins

Elder Lee and missionaries, Chicken Bus
Elder Lee found protein!
Weekly car picture ;)